Understanding type 1 diabetes
English, Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Greek, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
Type 1 diabetes affects about 10-15% of all people living with diabetes. It occurs when the pancreas can’t produce insulin. This happens because the cells that make the insulin (beta cells) have been destroyed by the body’s own immune system.
This fact sheet provides information on type 1 diabetes, including:
- Why does type 1 diabetes develop?
- Can type 1 diabetes be prevented or cured?
- What are the symptoms of type 1 diabetes?
- How is type 1 diabetes managed?
- How is type 1 diabetes diagnosed?
- Who can help with your type 1 diabetes?
This fact sheet has been translated into Arabic, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Greek, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Vietnamese.
To view the fact sheet, click on your preferred language below.